Staff Specialist - Emergency Medicine
Work type: Full Time
TASMANIAN HEALTH SERVICE - NORTH WEST REGION, AUSTRALIA
Hours per fortnight
Shift work with on call working 76 hours per fortnight
Who are we?
The Tasmanian Health Service is an innovative and dynamic organisation dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of our community. We are committed to providing the highest levels of healthcare and services.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking motivated and experienced Staff Specialists in Emergency Medicine, who will work as part of the Department of Emergency Medicine across the North West Region. Servicing a population of approximately 116,000, the Staff Specialist provides specialist emergency medical care to patients attending the Department of Emergency Medicine at the North West Regional Hospital (NWRH) and Mersey Community Hospital (MCH).
The NWRH Emergency Department has an annual attendance rate of 27,600 patients per year with a 28% admission rate. The Department treats a broad range of patients including major trauma cases (NWRH). The MCH has an annual attendance rate of 29,000 per year with a 17% admission rate, of which half are short stay admissions. Transfers to other acute facilities account for 3% of presentations.
The NWRH ED is accredited by the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine for 12 months advanced training in Emergency Medicine. The Emergency Department at MCH is accredited for emergency medicine certificate and diploma courses. The THS – North West Region also has other accredited teaching programs including medicine, surgery, anaesthetics, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics and intensive care.
This position isn't just another job in another hospital - it can be your chance to demonstrate your strong clinical acumen, influence and foster an enthusiastic team of health professionals, review service requirements and execute new models of care. You will be able to join a group of consultants with diverse skills and a common culture of safe patient and staff care. The culture within the ED is one of collaboration with all staff, including clerks, nurses, junior doctors and trainees, allied health, radiology, pathology and inpatient teams.
We enjoy a strong relationship with the University of Tasmania's Rural Clinical School, and our secondary care facilities are both associated teaching hospitals with contemporary teaching environments. THS-North West Region also offers excellent Continuing Professional Development benefits and a supportive working environment.
North West Tasmania also offers a brilliant lifestyle for families, with affordable housing, excellent access and choice of education located within strong and vibrant rural and urban centres. Our pristine wilderness and coastlines are on your doorstep and your work/life balance will ensure that you have the best of both worlds!
We offer contemporary, well equipped work environments; excellent remuneration and relocation assistance.
What can we offer?
- Contemporary, well equipped work environments
- Flexible work/life balance
- Attractive Salary Package
- Dynamic team environment
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Conjoint appointment with UTAS
- Opportunity to be part of the Tasmanian Retrieval Service
- Specialist or limited registration with the Medical Board of Australia in a relevant specialty.
- Current Driver's Licence
- The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this position is to satisfy a pre-employment check before taking up the appointment, promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction check in the following areas: a) Crimes of violence; b) Sex related offences; c) Serious drug offences; d) Crimes involving dishonesty; and e) Serious traffic offences.
- Identification check.
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
How to apply
For more information
Please contact Donna Stubbs on (03) 6478 5283 or email